This past year was the first full year of running for me since we all sat around watching and waiting to see what disaster the year 2K would bring.
Heading into 2016, I had little idea the year would be full of milestones. When the calendar flipped into the new year, I was still working towards my weight loss goal and I made the decision to try for a new distance; the half marathon.
Looking back over the year, I’m still amazed of what I accomplished and most importantly, what fun I had. I tackled new distances, yet still fit in my old favorites.
Here’s my year in review:
- Not 1, but 2 half marathons (1:52 & 1:53)
- Apple Blossom 10K – only my 2nd time running this race since we moved to Winchester; crushed my time by about 12 minutes (47:40)
- Loudoun Street Mile – it’s been a long time since I ran an all-out mile so I was excited to see what I could do. I was pleased with 6:03
- Several 5Ks. In 2015, my 5K time was 22:59. This year, I bested my 2nd running career PR – 20:40
- An 8K trail race – a lot of fun!
- 20K – close to the half marathon distance (1:36)
- A 4 miler (26:42)
- MY FIRST MARATHON, Richmond (3:46)! At the beginning of 2016, a full marathon was not on my radar. After 2 half marathons, I decided, why stop here?
Non-race related highlights:
- Reached and surpassed my weight loss goal in the 1st Quarter – Total of 66 lbs. lost.
- Became an instructor for HIIT Like A Girl
- Became a kid’s running club coach through our county Parks & Rec program
- My stepdaughter and husband have become runners (my son has already been running for a few years)
Over the 12 months, I was lucky to share so many miles with a great group of friends. I had a fun (and adventurous) 12 mile trail run with friends, several loooong training runs, breakfast runs and a Christmas fun run. I’ve had the opportunity to get to know people better and meet some amazing new folks too.
So, where does that lead me for 2017? Wow, it will definitely be hard to beat!
I have a target in mind and I’m going after her – the old me.
Now that Mack Attack is back, I have some serious work to do. I have a target in mind and I’m going after her – the old me. Unsure if I’ll ever touch my old PRs (20 years and 20 lbs lighter) but that won’t stop me from getting as close as I can.
Goals for 2017:
- Mile – all guts. Back in high school and college, the mile and half mile were my specialties so I still have a sweet spot for this distance. I love the feeling of laying it all on the line and finishing keeled over; all energy spent. I’m hoping to break the 6 min. mark and aiming for 5:45.
- 5K – Striving to break 20. Up until about 2 weeks prior to the marathon, I was hitting the track once per week. Now, I’m ready to add speed work back into my weekly plan to help achieve my 5K and mile goals.
- Half Marathon – My initial try at this distance was a good race; although freezing cold and very low key (no spectators and an out-and-back). Second try was awful – high humidity and a rough course. My split at Richmond was a 1:47; so I aiming towards the 1:40 mark.
- Marathon – Yes, I’m going to do it again! I’m going to follow the same path as last year and train for a fall marathon. I’ll announce which one soon. Unfortunately, a lot of my weekends are already unavailable due to work, so I’m trying to determine which will fit best with my schedule. Goal: Beat 3:46. Aim towards BQ? Possibly.
- Other goals
- Try for an ultra? Maybe – if I have a friend that’d join me 🙂
- Trail race – love the trails – also want to do a Ragnar; so maybe I can knock out two at once.
- Run a race in my hometown
- Training my first person (my husband) for his first half!
- I also plan on finding more opportunities in the fitness/running industry and have been working towards my PT certification. It’s been great getting back into my career.
- Blogging more often!
What accomplishment are you most proud of from last year?
What goals are you working towards this year?
Let me know!
Until next time,