The end of the year is creeping up on us and wow, what a year. Back around June, I did a goal inventory and haven’t looked back since…until today.
2017 Race-Related Goals:
- Mile – I wanted to break 6 minutes and clock a 5:45. In May 2017, I ran 5:21. CHECK!
- 5K – Breaking 20 was my goal for this year. Added in speed work as I had planned and ran sub 19 in May. CHECK!
- Half Marathon – 2017 goal was to break 1:40. Shamrock Half was very kind to me in March – 1:29. CHECK!
- Marathon – I mentioned I wanted to simply beat my 2016 time of 3:46 and possibly BQ. CHECK! 3:25 AND a BQ!
- Ultra – The thought was a maybe. Now it’s just a few days away…
Other 2017 Goals:
- Train my husband for his first half: CHECK! He also did a 2nd which I helped pace him for a sub 2 hour finish.
- Find more opportunities in the fitness/running industry – started working full-time in fitness once again. CHECK!
- Personal Trainer Certification. CHECK!
- Coaching Certification. CHECK!
Which leads me to….
Fellow runners and readers, you may understand or you really may think I am crazy.
Do you ever feel a little lost once you complete a task? You’ve worked so hard for an extended period of time, focused on doing whatever it takes to be a success, and finally crossed the finish line. You are ecstatic. Yet, soon after, you are looking for a new challenge.
That’s how I’ve been feeling lately. Just a couple days out before the 50 miles and I’m already thinking, what’s next? Where do I go from here? Do I want to run longer? Go faster? Try something new? I have been so focused on checking off the boxes and not looking ahead for the next carrot.
Chasing goals is exciting; keeps me dreaming and raising the bar. The line we cross when we tackle a goal is not the finish, but a new starting line.
What do I want to try to do? Honestly, I am unsure right now.
I’m not too worried; after all, I have 50 miles to think about the possibilities. 🙂
I do have a goal formulating in my mind, but I’m not quite ready to share yet. Stay tuned….
Tell me: Have you reached your 2017 goals? Set any new goals for 2018?